Development of the Type 82 began after the German military reached out to Ferdinand Porsche to create a lightweight transport vehicle capable of use on and off road. After the release of the Type 62 prototype in 1938, full-scale production of the Type 82 began in 1940 and continued throughout the war, with widespread use of the vehicles on a range of fronts across Europe, Northern Africa, and Russia. The Kübelwagen, or “bucket-seat car,” was based on the…
Development of the Type 82 began after the German military reached out to Ferdinand Porsche to create a lightweight transport vehicle capable of use on and off road. After the release of the Type 62 prototype in 1938, full-scale production of the Type 82 began in 1940 and continued throughout the war, with widespread use of the vehicles on a range of fronts across Europe, Northern Africa, and Russia. The Kübelwagen, or “bucket-seat car,” was based on the KdF-Wagen’s underpinnings and featured bodywork by Ambi Budd Presswerke in Berlin.
The refurbishment performed by Dave Crompton in Clio, Michigan, between 2015 and 2016 included repairs to several of the body’s steel panels prior to a repaint in Wehrmacht beige. Metal work entailed welding repairs, removal of dents and old body filler, replacement of the fenders, and correction of various details to correspond with 1943 specifications. A brown and green camouflage pattern was painted over the exterior of the body, and various period markings were recreated. The seller also added the Panzer Lehr “L” insignia on the front right fender and rear engine lid.
Beige steel wheels are mounted with 5.25-16 Wesa Gelande tires, as is a nose-mounted front spare. A front Notek light reflects light downward from an internal mirror to avoid detection by aircraft, while a rear Notek light features a flip-down panel over a light array designed to help convoys estimate following distance. Additional features include trafficators in rectangular housings on each side of the windshield, fender-mounted headlamps with canvas lens covers, a side-mounted shovel and Wehrmacht fuel can, and a beige canvas convertible top.
The interior houses front bucket seats and a rear bench, and the seating was refreshed and wrapped in black vinyl during the refurbishment. Features include a three-spoke steering wheel, a floor-mounted shifter, duckboard flooring, a rifle rack, a wooden battery box under the rear seat, and a rear storage compartment.
The body-color dash panel houses a fuse panel, an ignition button, and a VDO 100-km/h speedometer. The latter was rebuilt using post-war internals installed in a period housing with numbers painted on its glass face. The odometer does not work.
The air-cooled flat-four is said to be a 1300cc 36-horsepower unit and its cylinder heads, shrouds, and ancillaries were modified and refinished to represent the appearance of a wartime 25-horsepower unit. The oil cooler, distributor, air filter, fuel filter, fuel tap, and belt were replaced, while the fuel pump was rebuilt and the six-volt electrical system repaired. A tire pump, jack, and tool kit are mounted within the engine bay.
The four-speed manual transaxle with a ZF limited-slip differential transmits power to the rear wheels through gear-reduction hubs. The clutch disc was replaced during the refurbishment, and the transaxle fluid was changed. Independent torsion-bar suspension utilizes single-acting tubular shock absorbers up front and double-acting lever-arm shocks at the rear, while stopping is handled via cable-operated drum brakes.
Included in the sale is a 1131cc flat-four said to produce 25 horsepower and was rebuilt by Dave Crampton in the style of a KdF factory engine. Various spare parts and cans of touch-up paint also come with the vehicle. Also included is a copy of technical manual TM E9-803, which was written by the US War Department based on the evaluation of Kübelwagens captured in North Africa.